On Sunday 15th September The Vineyard Hotel in Berkshire will host its UNCORKED 2019 event allowing visitors and guests to experience a wide range of wines and spirits, take part in masterclasses, all while enjoying a Californian BBQ and listening to live music in the heart of Berkshire. There will be 10 leading wine suppliers and 2 spirit suppliers attending and showcasing their wines and spirits. Jordan Winery will be bringing a Melchior of their 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon to open at Uncorked. This will be opened at 3pm to kick off the Californian BBQ. This will be the one of eight bottles ever made and the only bottle to be opened in the UK.
The Vineyard Hotel are also celebrating… the hotel is home to the UK Sommelier of the Year 2019; Romain Bourger. Widely regarded as the premier accolade in UK wine service, the award is the perfect fit as Romain oversees the hotel’s wonderful cellars which are home to over 30,000 bottles of wine. The Vineyard Hotel is home to six sommeliers from around the world, including the current Spanish Sommelier of the Year, Diego Gonzalez.
Photo courtesy of The Vineyard Hotel
UNCORKED is all about celebrating the hotel’s passion for wines. The Long List features 3,000 bins while the Short List offers 100 wines by the glass. The Vineyard Hotel also offer wines using the Coravin Wine Preservation System allowing a wine to be consumed without pulling the actual cork! The Vineyard Hotel is the UK’s wine hotel and visitors and guests can also take a WSET qualification with levels 1 & 2 available to book in advance. The hotel has one of the highest pass rates in the UK.
UNCORKED will allow guests to taste and buy wines and spirits from leading suppliers attending:
- Awin Barratt Siegel – come and learn about Oregon and why it is fast gaining recognition as one of the most exciting destinations in the USA for the production of top-quality Pinot Noir, in particular in the Willamette Valley.
- E&J Gallo - With more than a dozen wineries strategically located throughout California and Washington, their team of world-class winemakers craft wines from the highest quality fruit, picked from vineyards throughout premier grape-growing regions.
- Exton Park Vineyards – Fans of English Sparkling wine will love meeting this supplier. Their single vineyard is planted on the rolling chalk slopes of Hampshire’s South Downs National Park.
- Hallgarten Druitt – Hallgarten works with some of the finest family-run vineyards in the world. Producers who have challenged the status quo, carving out an enviable reputation on the global stage.
- House of Townend – Small and family owned are the approach for this supplier. The House of Townend was established in 1906 in Yorkshire and has remained in the ownership of the same family for over 100 years. For four generations they have built direct relationships with some of the finest wine producers in the world.
- Peter Michael Winery – Sir Peter Michael (who also owns The Vineyard Hotel) owns the world-class winery in Sonoma County. Peter Michael Winery currently produces 15 different bottlings: 6 Chardonnays, 4 Pinot Noirs, 2 wines from white Bordeaux varietals, and 3 wines from red Bordeaux varietals.
- Revana Wines – The Revana Estate Vineyard is situated in a prime part of St. Helena where deep, well-drained alluvial soils pair with warm days and cool nights to provide an ideal terroir for Cabernet Sauvignon.
Photo courtesy of The Vineyard Hotel
- Smeatons – Smeaton’s Dry Gin is a faithful recreation of a hand-written 1870s recipe discovered in the historic Bristol Archives on Smeaton Road.
- Sonoma Distilling Company - Founded in 2010, it is one of the first 200 distilleries in the country, is a pioneer producer in California and is one of the very first in Sonoma wine country.
- Taittinger – Taittinger remains one of the few Champagne Houses to remain owned and actively managed by the family named on the label.
- The Vineyard Cellars – As Europe’s original Californian fine wine merchant, The Vineyard Cellars hold a stellar collection of rare and collectable wines, many unobtainable even in their home state. They represent over thirty producers from across California.
- West Berkshire Brewery – Employing traditional techniques and championing British ingredients, they have a range of beers and styles that showcase the very best of British beer. They have also won over 45 awards since we started brewing in 1995.
- Wine Treasury – Their portfolio certainly has a New World focus, though it also includes excellent examples from many of the so-called Old World’s classic regions. Their reputation as North American specialists with some of the best wineries from California, Oregon, and Washington State is the result of decades of dedication to the region.
£55 for a day ticket (Includes one voucher for the BBQ and £20 redeemable against wine purchases on the day from The Vineyard Cellars). To book: www.the-vineyard.co.uk/uncorked.asp Overnight Sunday/Monday accommodation is priced from £150 per room and includes breakfast and use of the spa. This rate is valid for guests attending the event.
If you enjoyed this article then we recommend you reading this next one and find out who's UK's Sommelier of the Year 2019.