How well do you know your Australian wines? Do you fancy yourself as a bit of an expert? Test your knowledge in our tricky Australian wine quiz and share it with your friends to see who's got the best Aussie brain...
1. Which South Australian winery, famous for the diagonal red stripe on its labels, fell foul of Champagne producer GH Mumm when it released a sparkling wine named Dadd?
2. Grapes from which Australian state would NOT be found in a wine labelled ‘South Eastern Australia’?
3. Which South Australian winemaking legend is known for his colourful array of bow ties?
4. What is Australia’s most expensive wine?
Penfolds Grange Hermitage 1951 costs a whopping $38,420.
5. Australian winemakers experiment with a wide range of grape varieties. Albariño was set to the ‘next big thing’ until French ampelographer Jean-Michel Boursiquot realised the Albariño grown in Australia was actually which grape?
6. The Australian wine industry is almost as old as the country itself. What type of wines did it start by producing?
7. Many Australian wines have borne the names of European regions, but agreements with Europe mean you’ll no longer see “White Burgundy” or “Hermitage” on Australian labels. If you’re looking for a Sherry style of wine what do you need to buy?
8. In some parts of Australia, vineyards have avoided the pest which wiped out much of Europe’s vineyards in the late 19th century. In places like South Australia’s Barossa Valley vines can be well in excess of 100 years old. Which pest was responsible?
9. Australia can claim credit for bringing which wine invention to the world?
10. Only one Australian state/territory does not produce wine... which is it?
Thank you for taking the quiz.
You score is with 0 out of questions.
Want to receive the latest quizzes?
Recommended reading for you
Photo Credits: Question 1:tasmanianwinecentre.com. Question 3: Flickr.com/jacinta lluch valero. Question 5: flickr.com/Asier Sarasua Aranberri. Aussie Amateur: http://funnyasduck.net/. Almost-there-Aussie: flickr.com/Tambako The Jaguar. Aussie Expert: writeups.org