This tour takes you to one of the most famous Bulgarian wine regions – the Melnik Region. Melnik wine was proudly present at the tables of the European royal families in the 17-18th centuries and the local variety Shiroka Melnishka Loza (Broadleaf Melnik) was among Winston Churchill’s favourites. The Melnik region has a high concentration of local wine varieties and during the tour you get to taste them at three carefully selected wine cellars.
Your Tour Leader will meet you at your place of pick up at 10:00 (10 am). Transfer to the famous Rila Monastery (~2 hours) – the largest monastery in Bulgaria designated a UNESCO world heritage site since 1983. Enjoy lunch at a local restaurant in the area. Continue to the Melnik area (~2 hours). Check-in to a traditional guesthouse. Welcome dinner incl. wine.
A day dedicated to wine, gastronomy, nature and good conversations. Today, we visit three boutique wineries located in a picturesque landscape of green fields, vineyards, small villages and farm animals. The first winery to open its doors to welcome you is Orbelia Winery, which is owned and managed by the Chorbadzhisky family. Here we will tour the winery, taste wines and sample traditional appetizers. Continue to the quaint town of Melnik for a walk around the old houses before sitting down for lunch at a traditional restaurant. The second winery to welcome you is the delightful Villa Melnik – a boutique winery that has quickly gained recognition for its excellent wines. Tour the winery and end your visit with a tasting of 5 wines in the tasting room. The last winery of the day is Orbelus Winery. Orbelus is a modern winery with an unusual architecture. The facility is shaped as a giant wine barrel with half of the barrel located underground and half over the ground. It is quite a spectacular winery proudly working with only organic grapes. Tour the winery and end your visit with a tasting of 5 wines in the tasting room. Return to your guesthouse. Free evening.
After breakfast, head up to Rozhen Monastery to walk around the medieval monastery. Check-out and departure from your guesthouse. Transfer to Sofia (~3 hours). Estimated arrival in Sofia is 2 pm.
- 2 nights in traditional guesthouse in shared ensuite double rooms
- All ground transportation with a minivan/car included in the tour’s itinerary
- English-speaking Tour Leader from Bulgaria Wine Tours
- Visit to Rila Monastery & Rozhen Monastery
- Visit to the town of Melnik incl. entrance to one cultural site
- Meals as per itinerary
- Visits to three wineries (Villa Melnik, Orbelus & Orbelia) including a tour and tasting of 5 wines per winery
- Transportation from/to Sofia. Pick-up/drop-off point to be advised.
- AT & All local taxes
- Extras and incidentals
- Private transfers
- Travel and medical insurance
- Alcoholic beverages not mentioned in the tour description
- Meals & Beverages not mentioned in the tour description
- Cancellation of a scheduled tour booking must be made by the Client in writing to the Company. The cancellation is not effective until it is received and acknowledged by the Company.
- For cancellations made until 45 days of departure, no cancellation fee will be applied. Deposit will be refunded.
- For cancellations made between 45 days and 30 days prior to departure or less, the deposit will not be refunded.
- For cancellations made between 30 days and 14 days before departure, 50% of total cost will be applied as a cancellation fee.
- For cancellations made less than 14 days before departure, 100% of total cost will be applied as a cancellation fee.